Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 19

Hey everybody! Back at the internet cafe.
So new updates... I'm still learning Dagbani and it's not nearly as fun as Twi. Probably because the region I'm living in is a Twi speaking area so I have nobody to practice with.Our days are pretty packed here with language for 6 hours then 2 hours of technical training. My day starts around 5am (I've gotten use to sleeping through the chickens that wake up at 3:30am) when the birds start chirping. Then normally I'm back by my moms store around 5pm and I eat dinner. Then I get swarmed by about 10 children and I run around and play with them. It's a good system so far but I'm always wiped by the end of the day.
One week ago I went to church with my family. Slightly awkward because I stood out RIDICULOUSLY. Plus the whole thing lasted for 9 hours... I went when they were having a special 18th year thing. I think I've gotten my fill of Jesus for a little bit.
So yesterday I made my host family dinner. I made eggs and tomatoes and then cabbage with chicken. They totally didn't like it! They kept saying that they had never had anything like that before. Haha. I tried to pick something I thought they would like too... ah well back to the fufu and banku.
We also made a clay oven for a family in town yesterday. That was really fun. We ended up making little faces on the stove for decorations with the extra clay which the family ended up taking down because they were scared of it. Oops.
Friday night my friend, Ran, and I went to this religious festival in town. It was totally awesome. The religious festival is how raves go down here. We didn't stay long though because we stand out way too much. We left after these people finished running in circles and they were starting the sermon. This is a crazy 3 day long event though. These people were up when I woke up for school the next day. Rave on.
Today we visited Boti falls and Akaa falls. It was really pretty! We were not allowed to swim in the water though because they were worried we would get parasites. Nobody argued. I had a ton of fun running around looking at everything.
I still can't believe I'm in Africa.
I'll post pictures when I can!

1 comment:

  1. Diana! - wow. your experiences so far seem unbelievable. I know I'm going to sound like your mother when I say this, but I am incredibly proud of you and glad to call you my friend :) haha.

    I can't believe they didn't like the food you cooked for them! ahhhhh. lol you're such a good cook. Interesting the culture differences in such a simple thing like food. Maybe you'll learn to cook their food, then come home and watch all of our facial expressions, lol.

    I (and everyone else here in the 513) miss you but all know how epic you're being right now....smile chica, because your amazing :D

    ReplyDelete