Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Door


So my door (if you refer back to my last post) literally just rotted off of my mud walls. It was a bummer when I tried closing my door one day and the frame fell away.

So I called the carpenter to ask him to come fix it. His grand plan? Switch the left frame with right frame. Okay... one rotten side for another.... Sigh.

A few more days pass and another carpenter comes who actually does fix it. Of course this doesn't go as planned either. Just as he finished the frame it started to rain and work was called off. So I had a big hole in my wall without a door. Then the light rain that was falling turned into a downpour. So as I'm struggling to save my room from destruction my house father totally comes through for me and covers my room with a local mat. I chilled with the local mat for a door for 2 more days and then my door was finally put in.

The cultural minuses: making up crazy ways to fix a door, not coming to fix the door when you say you will, stopping work because it's raining leaving me door-less
The cultural pluses: Not letting me pay for the labor because I'm their guest in the village (even after 7+ months)

And I have to say that to me, it was an okay trade-off. I'm a sucker for hospitality, kindness, and hilarity. And looking back this was kind of funny.


My old frame


Mat for a door
(my greatest regret actually getting the door fixed though is losing the "love the one who love you" quote above my door)
My new door (I never took a finished picture, but rest assured I have a working door now)

Cham Cham. Yeah, I ate it. This has nothing to do with my door. Think of it as a bonus.

 

3 comments:

  1. is it still summer there or has it cooled down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s good that the carpenter removed the habitat of termites that were hiding in the door frame. Replacing the frame alone - without removing the termites that cause the wood to rot – is not enough. Glad your door was fixed. +Danielle Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hope you posted the photo of the finished project so that we can have a glance on how crafty your carpenter is, Diana. Hehe! Anyway, I agree with Danielle here. I know it’s not that easy to eradicate the termites but I hope that until now, the new door is still doing good. How are you now? :)

    -^ Sharron Folkes ^-

    ReplyDelete