Saturday, January 14, 2012

Integrating some more

     Since the last post I've eaten about 20 more "saba" and I got to say... it is honestly good. Took a little getting use to and a lot of mental "it's going to be okay its going to be okay" but I got through it and now actually sort of look forward to saba. Try not to judge me too much, okay?
     Sooo I'm going to get my ears pierced. All the women and men here have the same hair cut so one of the main female indicators are earrings. I've had several people ask me where my earrings were and I've always had to say I only have one on my right ear (the cartilage- which btw, thanks Thea for convincing me to get it way back when because it's been a saving grace haha). Anyway I recently buzzed my head so I decided it was time to get earrings to make up for my lack of hair. I know I said I was growing my hair out but it is a lot easier to cut your hair on a whim rather than growing it out. Don't worry all, I'll make sure the needle is sterilized.
     Morning runs have been really great. Sometimes the smoke from the burning bush gets to me though. The people here start the bush on fire to catch the saba. It's not a very good thing but I'm at a loss of what to do. To deny eating the meat they serve me is an insult but to eat it is encouraging bad practice... There was this night where I thought for sure I could hear it raining. I was so confused because I knew that it couldn't be raining though since it's the dry season, yet it was unmistakeable what I was hearing. I forced myself out of bed and peeked outside my window. Bush fire crackling and popping just behind my compound.
     So I'm really enjoying my days at site. I've been really having fun making a fool of myself trying to pronounce certain words and playing with the kids. I haven't really had time to read books actually which has been a surprise.
     Just a short update for now! I'll try to write more next time I'm at the cafe!

2 comments:

  1. OMG put a pic of this buzz cut and earrings when you get a chance. That pic of you in the dress is nice but you are bigger than your host dad, are all the people there that small?!? You're still losing phones huh? Not much has really changed has it. Keep having fun and hopefully I'll hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen!! I posted the pictures just for you. I hadn't planned on it.
    From what I have seen the women are normally bigger or the same size as their husbands. I think it's a combination of the hard labor the men do while farming, and the hard work the women put into all of their "womanly" choirs (cooking, fetching water, cleaning, washing clothes, gathering of firewood...).

    ReplyDelete