Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 35

     Just got to TSO for the first time. It’s pretty cool, everybody who stays here is super chill. I finished my site visit and it went… okay. Talking to everybody at TSO made me feel better about my visit.
     So my site is without electricity, which is what I expected. What I didn’t expect was the furnace that my house would turn into at night. The window next to my bed doesn’t have a screen on it so if I want to keep the mosquitos out I need to keep the window blind closed. During the middle of the night I found myself covered in sweat. My mattress was soaked. I open the window next to my bed for a hope of some wind to pass through my room. I wake up in the morning and find that there are 15+ mosquitos buzzing around my room. I go on a killing spree. The thought of going without a fan for 2 years is a bit daunting… but I guess I will manage.
     So shopping list! Screen for my window, 1 table, 1 chamber pot, and mirror. The cockroaches that are my latrine… not helping my phobia of bathrooms. Still haven’t worked up the courage to go in at night. Seems like a ridiculous phobia to have here in Africa. Perhaps by the end of my stay I’ll have one phobia under control.
     When I first showed up at my village they had a festival for me. Traditional dance galore! I got to say, I’ve never had a festival dedicated solely for me. It was surreal to be honest.  So this is what it feels to be famous…
      It’s the simple life. Me walking around drawing a site map made every child in town flip out. The dagbani the kids teach me all have a similar theme. It goes something like… “My mother, I’m going to ____, give my money.”  
     The moon here is ridiculous. Pretty.
     Rode my bike to the district capital and got really dehydrated (roughly 10 miles or so away). Wish my CP would have taken me seriously when I said "I need to have water." Headache for the day. Also I feel a bit unhappy about having to pay for my CP a few times for taxi rides and juices. Also the children kind of torment me at night trying to get me to come out. Only real complaints.
Sorry about how this entry jumps around. It was done in several sittings.
Festival for Diana!
 Fowl that was sacrificed for me for the religious holiday that just past.

1 comment:

  1. woah, ahhh thats so crazy! I hope the solar charger is being of some use, your awesome!:)

    ReplyDelete