Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 11

Today we figured out where we will be stationed for our 2 years. I will be at Yapalsi in the Northern region of Africa. I've been learning Twi (pronounced ch-wee) and I will be learning Dagbani soon. Things are really cheap here. about 5 cents for an orange FRESH from a tree. A 20 minute car ride costs like 75 cents. Flip flops, 60 cents.

The kids here all scream "obroni obroni" still as I walk by haha. Oh well. I guess it would bug me more if I was...? Either way the kids are still ridic cute!! They're happy with the littlest things. Rolling tires with sticks is an interesting game they play.

I'm doing well with the bucket showers and the food here I'm no longer a vegetarian (It was a fun 1+ year), but the farm animals here all run free, the country isn't destroying the world with pollution, and I'm feeling pretty healthy. So my reasons for remaining a vegetarian no longer apply to myself here.

My host family is super nice. My mom owns a convenience store (in the background of the picture) and my dad is a taxi driver and minister. He has told me he wants to "help me find jesus" several times. Haha. My sister is super cool. So all the women here are beasts. They do manual labor here and they're all jacked. I thought I was in shape.... not so much here.

OH! You'll all be pleased to learn that I've worn a skirt everyday but 1 since I've gotten here. They arn't as bad as I recall... 1 day in Ghana feels like an entire week. I feel like I've been gone for 3 months!!

I love the way PC is organized. I feel like they got their system down. I feel very energized and I want to do everything I can while I'm down here.

So far, so good.

2 comments:

  1. post a pic of you in a skirt! lol. but seriously glad you're enjoying it, Africa is amazzzing! Im sure someone's probably already said it but when we saw something totally crazy, that would never be/happen/exsist in the US we'd say, "TIA.!." (This is Africa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHH Diana!!! stay epic. mixed feelingz for you on the loss of your vegetarianity, but I'm glad to hear you're taking it in stride! Also nice to hear that the PC is well organized.. get shit done chica!! miss youuuuu

    ReplyDelete